Frequently Asked Questions
When is the tornado safe room open for use?
- When a tornado watch is issued, the FEMA safe room will be opened shortly after to allow those with special needs or those that would need extra time to come into the shelter.
- If you would like to come before a warning is issued, you are welcome to do so.
Are animals allowed?
- Only aid animals are allowed. All household pets are not allowed in the tornado safe rooms per FEMA regulations.
What is the official notification that a watch or warning has been issued?
- Because the weather alert systems are the best method, the district will be using the NOAA weather alert system to inform you of a watch or warning. In order to know when a watch or warning is issued, you will need to use a NOAA weather radio. For more information on NOAA click HERE.
Where are the safe rooms located?
- The safe rooms are open to the public are located at:
- Nixa High School (north east side of building): 514 S. Nicholas Rd.
- Nixa Junior High (east side of building): 205 North St.
- Inman Intermediate (north side of building): 1300 N. Nicholas Rd.
- Mathews Elementary (west side of builing): 605 S. Gregg Rd.
Please note that JTSD is not open to the public. Anyone near JTSD should go to Nixa Junior High.
What is a Tornado Protection Zone?
- The Tornado Protection Zone is an area 0.5 miles in diameter around the FEMA safe room. This area is designated by FEMA as those who can quickly make it to the FEMA safe room in the event of a tornado warning. This does not limit who can come to the FEMA safe room; it just notes those who can quickly make it in the event of severe weather.
Where are other tornado shelters located?
- OTC Richwood Valley Campus (between Nixa and Ozark on HWY 14) operates like Nixa's FEMA shelters and opens during watches as well as warnings.