Tornado Safe Room Information
The Tornado Safe Rooms are owned by the Nixa School District and its first function is to provide protection for the students and staff during tornado and extreme high wind events during school hours.
Your official notification that the safe room is open will be through your NOAA weather radio. When a tornado watch is issued, the public can begin to enter the safe room. When a tornado warning is issued, the safe room will be fully open and operational for everyone. Again, we will be using the NOAA weather radios as our official notification system.
Below is a link to a Special Needs Form (physical impairments, special medical alerts, aid animal instructions, etc. to be completed and returned to Nixa Public Schools FEMA, 301 S. Main St., Nixa, MO 65714).
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Zac Rantz, chief communication officer, and district safety coordinator, at 417-449-3295 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
FEMA Safe Room Locations
- Nixa High School (514 S. Nicholas Rd. Nixa, MO 65714) Capacity: 2200
- Nixa Junior High (205 North St. Nixa, MO 65714) Capacity: 2100
- Inman Intermediate (1300 N. Nicholas Rd. Nixa, MO 65714) Capacity: 1200
- Mathews Elementary (605 S. Gregg Rd. Nixa, MO 65714) Capacity: 1200
How To Get Weather Alerts
- Weather Radio
- Weather App
- Swift 911 (Christian County only) http://www.christiancountymo.
Where are the FEMA safe rooms located?
The FEMA safe rooms are open to the public and are located at:
1300 N. Nicholas Road • Nixa, Missouri 65714
Tornado Protection Zone (TPZ) is 0.5 miles around the school (Map of Inman TPZ PDF)
Phone: 417-449-3210 • Fax: 417-449-3268
605 S. Gregg Road • Nixa, Missouri 65714
Tornado Protection Zone is 0.5 miles around the school (Map of Mathews TPZ PDF)
Phone: (417) 449-3110 • Fax: (417) 725-7474
Nixa Junior High
205 North Street, Nixa, MO 65715
Tornado Protection Zone is 0.5 miles around the school (Map of Nixa Junior High TPZ PDF)
Nixa High School
514 S. Nicholas Rd, Nixa, MO 65714
Tornado Protection Zone is 0.5 miles around the school (Map of Nixa High School TPZ PDF)
**Please note that the safe room at JTSD is NOT open to the public. It was built only for the population of the school. Anyone near JTSD should go to Nixa Junior High.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the tornado safe room open for use?
- When a tornado watch is issued, the FEMA safe room will be opened shortly after to allow those with special needs or those that would need extra time to come into the shelter.
- If you would like to come before a warning is issued, you are welcome to do so.
Are animals allowed?
- Only aid animals are allowed. All household pets are not allowed in the tornado safe rooms per FEMA regulations.
What is the official notification that a watch or warning has been issued?
- Because the weather alert systems are the best method, the district will be using the NOAA weather alert system to inform you of a watch or warning. In order to know when a watch or warning is issued, you will need to use a NOAA weather radio. For more information on NOAA click HERE.
Where are the safe rooms located?
- The safe rooms are open to the public are located at:
- Nixa High School (north east side of building): 514 S. Nicholas Rd.
- Nixa Junior High (east side of building): 205 North St.
- Inman Intermediate (north side of building): 1300 N. Nicholas Rd.
- Mathews Elementary (west side of builing): 605 S. Gregg Rd.
Please note that JTSD is not open to the public. Anyone near JTSD should go to Nixa Junior High.
What is a Tornado Protection Zone?
Where are other tornado shelters located?
- The Tornado Protection Zone is an area 0.5 miles in diameter around the FEMA safe room. This area is designated by FEMA as those who can quickly make it to the FEMA safe room in the event of a tornado warning. This does not limit who can come to the FEMA safe room; it just notes those who can quickly make it in the event of severe weather.
- OTC Richwood Valley Campus (between Nixa and Ozark on HWY 14) operates like Nixa's FEMA shelters and opens during watches as well as warnings.